The following is a review of School Committee’s many accomplishments of this past school year. School Committee convened at fifty Regular and Subcommittee Meetings.
Budget and Finance (Mrs. Hubley, Chair)
- Monitored the FY2015 Budget through Quarterly Report presentations including adherence to class size guidelines and the re-allocation of professional staff as needed.
- Monitored Revolving Accounts for Athletics, Building Rentals, Food Services, and Transportation.
- Developed the FY2016 QPS Budget in partnership with the Superintendent, Leadership Team, and Principals.
Facilities and Security (Mr. McCarthy, Chair)
- Reviewed and approved the Safety & Security and Custodial Services Program Improvement Plans.
- Worked collaboratively with Public Buildings and Park & Forestry Department on prioritizing facility needs; requests were generated from the School Improvement Plans and ongoing requests from Principals.
- Reviewed proposed window and door replacements for the Lincoln Hancock, Merrymount, North Quincy, Parker, and Wollaston.
- Reviewed proposed plans for boiler replacement at Bernazzani Elementary School.
Health, Safety, and Transportation (Mr. DiBona, Chair)
- Reviewed and approved the Student Support Services, Health Services, Transportation and Food Services Program Improvement Plans
- Participated in the Health, Nutrition, and Wellness Advisory Team and monitored initiatives, including Wellness, Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS), Farm to School, and Learn to Swim.
Policy (Mr. Bregoli, Chair)
- Reviewed and approved the Information Technology Program Improvement Plan.
- Collaborated with members of the Superintendent’s Leadership Team on School Committee Policy revisions, including the Emergency Response, CORI/National Background Check, and Physical Restraint.
- Monitored the Community Service initiative for Grades 9 through 11 at both high schools.
- Collaborated with the Superintendent’s Leadership Team on the development of the 2015-2016 School Year Calendar.
Special Education (Mrs. Mahoney, Chair)
- Reviewed and approved the Special Education Program Improvement Plan.
- Continuing collaboration with the Quincy Parent Advisory Council to Special Education on raising parent awareness, monitoring the consistent delivery of services, and identifying areas for program improvement and expansion.
- Monitored initiatives, such as the Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) and enhanced Professional Development opportunities.
Teaching and Learning (Ms. Isola, Chair)
- Reviewed and approved the Elementary, Middle, and High School Improvement Plans; the Title I, English Language Learners, Literacy, Pre-Kindergarten, and Career & Technical Education Program Improvement Plans; and the district-wide Curriculum Plan.
- Reviewed the Annual System Profile and Progress Report
- Monitored QPS progress towards implementing state and federal mandates, including Common Core State Standards implementation and Educator Evaluation.
- Explored program restoration for the Renaissance program at North Quincy High School, expansion of the middle school technology and foreign language programs, and collaborated on proposed incremental improvements in the FY2016 Budget with the Superintendent’s Leadership Team and Principals.
Ad Hoc Subcommittees
- Grade 5 Students (Mr. McCarthy, Chair) Reviewed topics related to Grade 5 students in elementary and middle schools including schedules, class size, and time on learning.
- Sterling Building Committee (Mr. DiBona and Mr. McCarthy, School Committee Representatives) Met to review the progress and timeline of the planning of the new Sterling Middle School.