Health – FAQ



My child is being treated with antibiotics for a strep throat or conjunctivitis when can he come to school?

A child who has an infectious illness should be on antibiotics for at least a full 24 hours before returning to school. See contagious disease section for more information.

Can my child take their own medication in school?

No, Quincy Public Schools have a medication policy that requires certain consents to be in place before any medication is taken in school. This policy is in place to protect both your child and the other students in the building.

Why does my child need a new physical every year to play sports?

Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association requires that student athletes have a yearly physical exam to play sports. This is really for the health and safety of your child. Routine physical exams are where certain medical conditions are and can be treated to prevent future complications.


When should I keep my child home from school due to illness?

If your child has a fever of 100.0 or higher, has vomiting or diarrhea during the night, or has drainage from his eyes. He should stay home from school.

A child may need to stay home for a day or two when he has a cold, frequent cough, runny nose or the fatigue that is often present at the height of a cold. A day or two at home resting and drinking a lot of fluids is often needed so the child can return for the school day.

If your child has a stomach illness causing nausea and vomiting they should stay home from school. They should remain at home until they have been able to hold down solid food for 24 hours. See contagious disease section for more information.

My child must take medications. How is this handled at school?

When a student is required to take medication prescribed by a physician during school hours, two prerequisites are needed:

  • Written permission for the nurse to dispense the medicine must be signed by a parent and the doctor before any such medicine will be dispensed.
  • The medicine, which is limited to five-day supply, must have the prescriptive label. The medicine will be kept in a locked cabinet and dispensed by the nurse. If necessary, the form must be updated at the request of the school nurse.

Need more information?  Please visit the Health Services page.

What happens when my child is sick?

When you keep your child at home at the first sign of an illness, you protect your child from other health problems and you protect other children from exposure to the illness.

If your child should become ill at school, the building principal or school nurse will try to reach you during the day. Please keep the school informed of all emergency contact numbers.  Having a current Contact Card on file with your child’s school can make it much easier for QPS personnel to get in touch with you when necessary.

Are immunizations required to register my child at QPS?

All students K through 12 must be fully immunized against Diphtheria, Tetanus, Polio, Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) and such other communicable diseases as may be specified from time to time by the department of public health. Students entering grade 7 MUST have had a second MMR before entrance in the fall.

For your convenience, clinics will be held the preceding spring. All new entrants must present evidence of having had a second Mantoux TB Skin Test within the preceding year. Any student who fails to comply with these laws will be excluded from school. Public school students entering school for the first time, whether at kindergarten or through transfer from another school system, will be required to present a physician’s certificate attesting to immunization against diphtheria, whooping cough, poliomyelitis, tetanus, and measles.

The only exception to these requirements will be made on receipt of a written statement from a doctor that immunization would not be in the best interests of the child; or, the student’s parent of guardian stating that vaccination or immunization is contrary to the religious beliefs of the student or parent.

Questions? Please visit the Health Services page.