Business Technology

 

Business Technology students working at computersThe Business Technology program prepares students for careers in customer service, management, bookkeeping, consulting, non-profit development, administrative support, event planning, sole proprietorships, franchising, and finance. We create a foundation for students to continue their training at a 2- to 4-year college or to start their own business after high school. Students engage in an active stock market game, prepare business plans, develop mission statements, and gain an understanding of structure within a company. Students organize and run effective meetings, demonstrate project management skills, financial concepts and applications, and conduct business negotiations. The program emphasizes ethical business practices.

What can you do with your Business Technology career training?

Anywhere business is conducted from offices to banks to hotels, workers with office skills are needed. General office workers usually perform a wide variety of tasks every day, including typing, filing, answering phones, running office equipment, making appointments, preparing reports, and creating presentations. Training such as accounting or specialized certifications in software can mean greater advancement and higher salary.

Training you need:

Entry-level clerical positions usually require a high school diploma and basic computer skills. Advancement to upper management usually requires a college degree and experience. Specialized work such as accounting, event planning, or management requires a 2- to 4-year degree. Some careers such as CPA also require passing exams.

Where you could work:

About 57% of general office employees work in small offices. The remaining 43% work in government offices, hospitals, finance, legal, and schools. Specialized careers such as accountants or event planners can work in firms dedicated to those specialties.

What you can earn:

Average salary for entry-level office workers is $23,710. Average salary for financial managers is $90,970. Event planners earn an average of $32,480. Experience and special skills bring higher salaries. College degrees may be required for management.

Career outlook:

Average job growth for business careers is projected to be 13% over the next ten years.

Equipment/software you will learn to use:

Microsoft Office, marketing, HTML Web site development, professional business communications, employability skills, critical thinking and positive working behavior, and live-work internships.

With additional training/education, what jobs are available?

Certified Public Accountant (CPA), office manager, trainer, event planner, para-legal, manufacturer’s representative, bookkeeper, consultant, business owner, and tax professional.

What you should know…

The mission of the Business Technology program at Quincy High School is to inspire students to reach above their potential. Students may be eligible for admission into the Business National Honor Society.

We develop students’ beliefs, values, and skills. After graduation, our students:

  • Own their own businesses
  • Develop into ethical entrepreneurs
  • Understand how to be a positive team member
  • Become a vital employee

Recommended Course of Study

Grade 9

English
Foreign Language
Mathematics
Science
Social Studies
Physical Education
Pathways
1 Elective Course

Grade 10

English
Foreign Language
Mathematics
Science
Social Studies
Physical Education
Business Technology 1
1 Elective Course

Grade 11

English
Mathematics
Science
Social Studies
Physical Education
Business Technology 2
1 Elective Course

Grade 12

English
Social Studies
Physical Education
Business Technology 3
3 Elective Courses

Download Business Technology Information