Quincy Public Schools offers a variety of educational experiences appropriate to the needs of all students, including those who are gifted learners. Our Elementary Laboratory Center (ELC) gives identified gifted Grade 5 students an enrichment program designed to broaden and deepen their academic experience. The ELC program is being held at the Point Webster Middle School for the 2015-2016 school year.
The identification and screening process was presented at School Committee’s Teaching and Learning Subcommittee last school year. Click here for the full presentation. As the 2015-2016 school year progresses, additional information about the screening process for this year will be shared with families.
For current Grade 4 students, a letter describing the screening process will be sent to all families in early February. Click here for last year’s letter. Screening assessments for all identified students will be administered in February and March 2016. Screening result letters will be mailed out to families in April 2016.
For current Grade 5 students who will enter Grade 6 in 2016-17 and did not attend the Elementary Laboratory Center (ELC) in Grade 5, but wish to be considered to enter the Advanced Placement Center (APC) at Central Middle School, there is an process to follow to request re-evaluation. Students requesting a re-evaluation must meet the following criteria: Two advanced scores on their most recent English Language Arts and Mathematics MCAS. A link to request re-evaluation will be posted in March 2016. Students meeting the above criteria will be contacted to schedule additional testing in May 2016. All decisions regarding placement in the APC program will be mailed to Parents and Guardians in May 2016.
Private school students who may be eligible for the APC program for grade 6 may request an evaluation if they meet the following criteria: Documented evidence of scores at or above the 95thpercentile on standardized assessments such as the Stanford Achievement Test or the Terra Nova. A link to request an evaluation will be posted in March 2016. Testing for private school students will occur in May 2016 on an invitation-only basis. Parents and Guardians will be informed of acceptance decisions in May 2016.
If you have questions regarding the ELC and APC programs, please contact Curriculum Coordinator Erin Perkins at email@example.com or 617.984.8712.
Fall Athletics are in the last few weeks of the season with some exciting games coming up in the next week. Click here to access the full schedules for North Quincy High School and Quincy High School athletics.
Thursday, October 15:
- NQHS vs. QHS Boys Golf @ Furnace Brook CC, 3:30 pm
- NQHS Girls Volleyball@ Scituate
- QHS Girls Soccer vs. Fontbonne @ Therrien Field, 4:00 pm
- QHS Girls Volleyball vs. Silver Lake, 4:00 pm
- QHS Boys Soccer vs. Silver Lake @ Veterans Stadium, 6:00 pm
Friday, October 16:
- QHS Girls Soccer vs. Whitman Hanson @ Therrien Field, 4:00 pm
- QHS Football vs. Hingham @ Veterans Stadium, 7:00 pm
- NQHS Football @ Plymouth South
- NQHS Boys Soccer vs. Scituate @ Veterans Stadium, 3:30 pm
- NQHS Girls Soccer @ Scituate
Saturday, October 17:
- QHS Boys Soccer @ Whitman Hanson
Sunday, October 18:
- NQHS Girls Soccer @ Silver Lake
Monday, October 19:
- QHS Girls Volleyball @ Plymouth South
- NQHS Girls Volleyball@ Plymouth North
Tuesday, October 20:
- NQHS Boys Soccer @ Plymouth North
- NQHS Girls Soccer vs. Plymouth North @ Veterans Stadium, 4:00 pm
- QHS-NQHS Cross-Country @ Silver Lake
- QHS Girls Soccer vs. Plymouth South @ Veterans Stadium, 6:00 pm
- QHS Boys Soccer @ Plymouth South
Each school year, households must reapply for Free or Reduce Price School Meal benefits unless they have received a letter saying that they have been “Directly Certified” due to participation in SNAP, Transitional Assistance or Medicaid.
At the start of school, a 30-day grace period is allowed where the prior year’s eligibility is carried forward. This year’s grace period will expire as of October 16, 2015.
To re-establish student eligibility, households must complete and submit a 2015-16 application with updated family size and income information or if applicable, their Food Stamp or TAFDC case ID number.
Applications may be submitted any time during the school year in one of two ways:
- Electronically by going to heartlandapps.com. Select your state (MA) and then Quincy Public Schools. Follow the easy step-by-step instructions to enter student and household information and then click “Apply”. The online application process is safe, secure, private, and fast.
- By paper application forms, available at all school offices or can be printed from this Quincy Public Schools website link: quincypublicschools.com. (English and Chinese language versions are posted with a link to other language translations). Only one application form is needed for all household students.
Please contact the Food Service Office at 617 984-8768 if you need any assistance.
Fall Athletics are at the halfway mark of the season with some exciting games coming up in the next week. Click here to access the schedules for North Quincy High School and Quincy High School athletics.
Wednesday, October 7:
- NQHS Girls Volleyball @ Plymouth South
- QHS Girls Volleyball vs. Plymouth North @ QHS, 4:00 pm
Thursday, October 8:
- QHS Boys Golf @ Abington
- QHS Boys Soccer vs. Hanover @ Veterans Stadium, 6:00 pm
- QHS Girls Soccer @ Hanover
- NQHS Boys Soccer vs. Hingham @ Veterans Stadium, 4:00 pm
- NQHS Girls Soccer @ Hingham
Friday, October 9:
- NQHS Girls Volleyball vs. Hingham @ NQHS, 4:00 pm
- QHS vs NQHS: Girls Freshman Soccer @ Varsity Field, 4:00 pm
- QHS Volleyball vs. Hanover @ QHS, 4:00 pm
- QHS Football vs. Whitman-Hanson @ Veterans Stadium, 7:00 pm
Saturday, October 10:
- NQHS Football @ Middleboro
- QHS vs. NQHS Soccer Saturday at Veterans Stadium!
- Girls JV, 1:00 pm
- Boys JV, 3:00 pm
- Girls Varsity, 5:00 pm
- Boys Varsity, 7:00 pm
Tuesday, October 13:
With stormy weather approaching, now is a good time to update your Quincy Public Schools Instant Alert account. Quincy Public Schools uses the Instant Alert system to let parents know about upcoming events, schedule changes, and school cancellations or delayed openings. You can update your Instant Alert preferences at any time to receive notifications at different times of the day on your home phone, work phone, cell phone or via email or text.
Follow this link to update your Instant Alert account or enroll for the first time: https://instantalert.honeywell.com/