Earlier today after school dismissal was completed, there was a small fire on the roof of the gymnasium wing of the Lincoln Hancock Community School. The fire was caused by a malfunctioning tool and was confined to the materials being used by construction workers installing a solar array. Workers pulled the fire alarm and used their fire extinguishers to fight the fire. The Quincy Fire and Police Departments responded immediately and the building was quickly cleared of all school staff and the students of the Quincy Afterschool Childcare program.
There is no damage to the Lincoln Hancock Community School building or roof. School will be in session as usual tomorrow and the incident is under investigation by the City of Quincy’s Public Buildings Department and the contractor. Lincoln Hancock Principal Ruth Witmer released an Instant Alert message to the school’s families alerting them of the incident which stated in part “I am so proud of the quick actions of my staff, the Quincy Fire and Police Departments, Mr. Draicchio, and the staff and children of Quincy Afterschool Childcare. Everyone did exactly what they were trained to do and Lincoln Hancock is ready for tomorrow!”